Wednesday, 3 April 2013

Ashamed Part 2

continuation from the last post.....


We found out the coilovers we purchased way back when (probably around 5ish years ago?) needed to be sent to GAZ and adjusting as they lower eye needed to be offset instead of centre  They arrived back around a week ago, it took GAZ only a couple of weeks to adjust them - excellent customer service and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again in future. I will eventually change my front coilovers to GAZ too. 

After a bit of a foul up with a gear linkage we purchased from eBay being for a metro rather than a mini we had to source another which was more difficult than you'd expect, it seems certain parts are hard to obtain or people attempt to sell them for silly money. Eventually a friend managed to find one in his stockpile of parts. It's now fitted and but still needs the sleeve and roll pins.

(The failing of the metro gearlinkage!)

The current task is the wiring loom which was taken from a friends 'scrapper' shell. Surprisingly for a Mini there had been very few alterations (after that many years on the road you expect a few 'hacks' for extra lights, stereos etc..). A few new connectors and some updating to remove the factory in-line fuses and integrate the Clifford alarm we salvaged from a previous 'project' car and it'll be ready to go onto/into Mutley.

(Factory fresh hacks! Wow.)

(Electrical Spaghetti)

2013 - I'm ashamed of the lack of updates I've made.

If anyone is still reading I applaud you, my lack of updates have been pitiful and non-existent, however Mutley still lives on and is still a "WIP".

Progress has and is being made and money is finally being spent, so progress should be of a fast paced nature (hopefully).

So let's try and get everything back up to date.....


The car was in the state that it was on a four wheels, had a roof lining fitted and the engine in the vauxhall subframe fitted and mounted.

(Vauxhall subframe mounted with suspension, brakes and wheels)

It was then going to Miniworld Action Day at Castle Combe race circuit that a realisation dawned upon us, EVERYONE was doing what we where doing and it was become such a common occurrence and very 'samey'.
It was decided that we'd go back to the "A" Series engine and pretty much a few days later we'd organised to buy one from a friend and collect it in November. The engine was stripped down, cleaned and rebuilt. We then had to source a subframe which was sourced locally from "The Mini Forum". It was the the task of stripping and painting the subframe and then assembling all of this into the car.

From this....
to this.... 
(1275 painted in BMW Silver)

(1275 mounted into refurbished subframe with brakes, suspension and